FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 17, 2015
Austin, TX — Today, Young Conservatives of Texas (YCT) praised several priorities outlined by Governor Greg Abbott in his biannual State of the State Address.
“YCT is very excited to have a governor that recognizes the importance of keeping government small,” said YCT State Chairman Jeff Morris. “We were especially excited to see him prioritize passing a Constitutional Amendment capping increases to the Texas budget at population growth plus inflation.”
Below are some of the priorities outlined by Governor Abbott supported by YCT:
- Improve higher education by making tuition more affordable and expanding options for individuals not seeking a 4-year degree.
- Improve public education by requiring every campus to publish an A-F rating so parents and taxpayers better understand how schools are performing.
- Improve the business climate in Texas by reducing the state margins tax. Abbott indicated he will reject any budget that does not include property and business tax relief.
- Ensure future sustainability by paying down state debt today.
- Keep the size of government small by ensuring increases in our budget our limited to population growth plus inflation.
- Secure our state’s border by doubling funding for border security and increasing personnel on the border.
“From his State of the State, it seems Governor Abbott has the right priorities when it comes to budgeting,” said YCT State Board Member, Brandon Waltens. “We hope this speech puts pressure on the leaders in both chambers to pass a budget that prioritizes border security, tax relief, paying down debt, and outcomes in public and higher education.”
“There will be a lot of temptation to have a low-key Session this year,” continued Waltens. “YCT sincerely hopes Governor Abbott remains good on his promise to reject any budget that does not contain substantial tax-relief.”
Young Conservatives of Texas is a non-partisan organization that has promoted conservatism at universities across the Lone Star State for over three decades. The State’s most active political youth organization, YCT is composed of hundreds of members and alumni who participate in the full spectrum of politics. YCT issues the most respected ratings of the Texas legislature and is the only conservative group to have done so without interruption over the past 20 legislative sessions. For more information about YCT, please visit .